Leif Farquharson KC, is a Partner and Chair of the Firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He is a seasoned litigator with a range of experience in the areas of administrative and public law, banking, tort and personal injuries, contractual disputes, employment and commercial matters.
Recent engagements include:
- Defence of a seven-figure claim brought against a local banking institution raising issues concerning contractual and equitable rights of setoff, limitation periods in actions against bankers and mortgagee remedies.
- Prosecution of claims on behalf of lenders for professional negligence against solicitors engaged in mortgage transactions.
- Defence of claim brought against developer clarifying the law in The Bahamas concerning enforcement of restrictive covenants and scope of anti-discrimination provisions in Bahamas Constitution.
- Prosecution of claim in partnership dispute raising issues of, amongst others, undue influence, unconscionable bargain and constructive trust.
- Prosecution of six figure claim for damages arising in reference to construction dispute.
- Defence of various claims made against bankers challenging exercise of remedies as mortgagees.
- Participation in proceedings under quieting titles legislation.
- Participation in arbitration proceedings concerning rights and obligations of developers in residential community.
- Acting for insurers in fatal accidents and other claims.
- Provision of advice to banking and other institutions on various regulatory issues, including proceeds of crime legislation and requests for assistance in connection with foreign criminal and civil proceedings.
- Defence and advice on employment claims.
- An action by a resort developer in respect of the Government’s construction of a container port on land in which it claimed an interest.
- An action by a foreign investor group challenging the Government’s decision to revoke approval to develop a resort on a Family Island.
- An action under newly enacted insurance legislation to place a company with branches throughout the region under court supervision to protect policyholders.