Andrew G. Wells is a Partner in the firm’s Property and Development Practice Group.
Andrew specializes in real estate transactions and conveyancing, sales and structuring for both high-end and private client matters and large commercial transactions. His practice covers mortgage-backed financing and loans, property title due diligence and opinions, title insurance, subdivision, resort and hotel planning development and operation, commercial and residential leases and related tax matters and issues and in advising on and applying for all governmental and requisite approvals.
Recent engagements include:
- Member of the GT team representing the purchaser of a mega multi-use resort in Nassau, with a particular focus on settling complex title issues that are required to obtain title insurance.
- Acting for a major international debt fund as local counsel in a debt-for-equity swap of approximately US$ 170 million, concerning a major Bahamian resort property and related joint venture interests, which included obtaining requisite multi-departmental Bahamian Government approvals for the acquisition, the assumption of casino management licenses, and numerous relevant operating licenses.
- Acting for real estate developers in the purchase, development and re-sale of subdivisions.
- Advising foreign lenders seeking to secure legal mortgages over real estate in The Bahamas as security for foreign currency loans to residents and non-residents.
- Advising foreign lenders on the remedies and rights of foreign mortgagees.
- Acting for clients acquiring local hotels and securing tax and customs exemptions under the Hotels Encouragement Act.
- Advising international lenders on various aspects of financing hotels and commercial concerns in The Bahamas.
- Representing a commercial conglomerate in the sale of an office building in a commercial complex in Nassau.
- Conducting due diligence on behalf of purchasers in relation to corporate acquisitions.