Sean McWeeney QC, is a senior partner and Chair of the firm’s Financial Services, Private Client, Trusts and Estates Practice Group. He specializes in trusts and corporate law.
He represents domestic and international high net worth individuals and fiduciaries in a broad range of complex matters including trusts and estates administration and litigation and family business governance. In addition, Sean advises institutional and private families on complex corporate matters including restructurings and Bahamian tax matters. He is a recognised author on both legal and historical matters and regularly speaks at national and international conferences.
Recent engagements include:
- Trust re-structuring for ultra-high-net worth Australian family for succession-enhancement purposes (tax neutral), involving complex underlying corporate structures, and complex bespoke trust provisions requiring original (non-template) drafting.
- Trust structuring for HNW client with progressive illness; personal asset transfers into trust with new command-and-control structures (including special enduring powers of attorney and new pour-over Will, and discretionary trust with customized features) in anticipation of his complete incapacitation.
- Complex variation of trust preparations (which will require court approval) for re-domiciliation of trust from Cayman Islands to The Bahamas for ultra-high-net worth family and involving co-ordination with attorneys in multiple jurisdictions.
- Leading counsel for major ongoing trust litigation in The Bahamas involving complex claims of breach of trust and breach of beneficiary information rights (with landmark decision on the latter already). Close co-ordination with interests in four other jurisdictions.
- Acting for major international trust companies in relation to formal variation-of-trust applications to the Bahamas Supreme Court.
- Acting for a number of ultra-high net worth families in relation to the succession-oriented re-structuring of their trust and corporate affairs.
- Acting for a major international bank and trust company in relation to the re-structuring of its domestic operations in The Bahamas.
- Acting for a number of banks in relation to the regulatory aspects of their re-structured ownership.
- Acting as the Bahamian legal adviser to a British-based petroleum company in relation to its proposed exploration activities in the Bahamas.