Theo Burrows is a Partner in the firm’s Financial Services, Private Client, Trusts and Estates Practice Group. His practice areas include, private client and wealth management, commercial transactions, financial services, insurance law and regulation.
Theo primarily focuses on trusts, wills, probate and estate planning, foundations, private trust companies, company law and international commercial law, and regulatory compliance, providing advice to trust companies on the development of new services, on issues arising in trust administration and regulatory issues for a wide range of domestic and international clients.
Recent engagements include:
- Overseeing all aspects from a Bahamian law perspective of a commercially sensitive large scale multi-jurisdictional project in which a local trust company purchased the book of trust business from one of its foreign affiliates and successfully transferred about 200 trust structures to The Bahamas.
- Drafting and advising on template corporate documents for a large continuation project whereby a local trust company successfully continued about 60 foreign corporate structures into The Bahamas.
- Drafting a high-level regulatory matrix chart for a local trust company outlining regulatory reporting requirement.
- Conducting due diligence on an existing employee pension trusts of a large hotel and casino resort in The Bahamas whereby a $1.9 billion recapitalization of the hotel and casino resort was successfully complete.
- Reviewing and advising on the heads of government agreement on behalf of a $3.5 billion luxury hotel resort and casino development in The Bahamas.
- Overseeing all aspects from a Bahamian law perspective of the approval by the Central Bank of service level agreements within the department.
- Conducting training and advising local trust companies on the laws and regulations concerning anti-money laundering and countering the financing of terrorism in The Bahamas with respect to their internal governance, policies and procedure.