Alistair Chisnall is a Partner and Co-Chair of the firm’s Property and Development Practice Group.
Alistair specializes in real estate transactions and conveyancing, sales and structuring for both high-end and private client matters and large commercial transactions. His practice covers mortgage-backed financing and loans, property title due diligence and opinions, title insurance, subdivision, resort and hotel planning development and operation, commercial and residential leases and related tax matters and issues and in advising on and applying for all governmental and requisite approvals.
Recent engagements include:
- Acting as counsel for real estate and condominium developers in connection with acquisitions, project structuring, regulatory matters, sales (and pre-construction sales) and related matters – which has assisted in bring +300 condominium units onto market in recent years.
- Representing private clients in the sale or purchase of luxury real estate in the Lyford Cay, Albany, Old Fort Bay, Paradise Island/Ocean Club and Out Island resort and residential communities.
- Representing an international title insurance company in respect of due diligence and insurance policies for the sale and purchase of a 500 acre high-end residential/resort community, the acquisition of a landowning company for a 2,000 acre commercial property and condo sales program for a condominium project with +200 units.
- Representing a major international debt fund as local counsel in a debt-for-equity swap of approximately US$ 170 million, concerning a major Bahamian resort property and related joint venture interests, which included obtaining requisite multi-departmental Bahamian Government approvals for the acquisition, the assumption of casino management licenses, and numerous relevant operating licenses.
- Representing a major Bahamas hotel enterprise as local counsel in the restructuring of a complex commercial real estate-backed structured financing for approximately US$2 billion.
- Acting for a local real estate development company in respect of the sale of a 900 acre residential resort community.
- Providing advice for developers and purchasers on environmental matters in connection with a marina/shipyard acquisition, boutique resort development and commercial retail development.
- Assisting with the planning, governmental approvals and legal framework for subdivisions, resorts and planned-community development and sales.
- Advising on the acquisition, ownership and sales of residential and commercial property in the Bahamas, and related financing and approvals.
- Advising credit risk personnel at local lending institutions on the enforceability of mortgage security, demand and sale, and acting on behalf of such lending institutions in power of sale matters.